Tuesday, February 15, 2011

#25

Give ice skating a real shot. I haven't touched ice skates since I was in fourth grade (and even then I lasted about 10 minutes before I politely declined to continue skating). So I figured it deserved a real shot, seeing as I live in Minnesota.


Andrew told me about Science & Engineering Student Board's latest event, Skate with a Date, to happen February 12th. I was already going to sing at it, so I figured I could stick around to make a fool out of myself give it a shot. Jim, Dan, Bailey and Daniel were sticking around also after the gig to goad at me. (lucky me...)




This is indeed like 13 or 14 of us singing into one mic- shockingly I super loved it because we haven't had that much energy in a long time! It looked a lot of fun actually, watching people skate by! (orrrr watching people get bowled over)


Afterward... I had to man up.




This face is effectively hiding how "Oh crap" I was... firstly because my feet are much to wide for these dainty ice skates. Once I got over that I carefully stepped onto the ice.


After standing on there for like 5 minutes in frozen fear I finally shuffled forward-- I was skating!!! I scooted along and Andrew held my hand as I took bigger and bigger glides... I never fell, but I definitely wavered PLENTY of times, flapping my arms around.




Super proud. I loosened up the skates a little bit so my feet would be a little less than bound, and started really skating around the rink-- it was really really freeing to be able to glide around once I managed my paranoia of falling every ten seconds.  By the end I was stopping by spinning in a circle!! (Daniel detested me for getting better than him).


This could be a stepping stone to my trying snowboarding?? Maybe.


I'm also continuing to explore the whole... "Wine" thing:




It's been a good year.


Maybe when it's warm out I'll learn how to change oil. Eh Kevin? :D

2 comments:

  1. I would tell you to have Matt take you snowboarding (he was a snowboard instructor in high school) but I don't want him to hit his head again heheh :).

    Congrats on knocking another one off the list!

    ReplyDelete